SCALING INNOVATION AROUND THE GLOBE
Open source web application framework accelerates global expansion for e-commerce ticketing merchant
A major online ticket merchant aspired to expand its operations and recognized an urgent need to compete within the Asian market. The merchant chose the open source Grails framework to shorten the necessary development cycles, successfully accelerating speed to market and establishing a firm foothold in the target territory.
An e-commerce merchant that facilitates secondary-market ticket transactions for sporting matches, live concerts, theatrical performances, and other entertainment events
At the time, no viable ticket exchange facilitator had established a foothold in China, Japan, South Korea, or India.
The company's senior executives recognized two key facts that made it clear they needed to act – and act quickly!
- This territory represented a booming e-commerce market.
- It was only a matter of time before another similar service saw the same opportunity and moved in to establish dominance.
To quickly expand its Asian operations ahead of the competition, the Company set out to scale its existing e-commerce platform to accommodate:
- A massive influx in transactions
- Translation into multiple additional languages
- Culture-specific UI/UX expectations
And it needed to do it all within an incredibly tight timeline.
This initiative demanded a development plan focused on speed and stability.
Understanding that a misstep in platform choice would likely mean giving up the first-mover advantage, the engineering team required a development platform that allowed them to experiment quickly and "fail fast" if their choice did not prove optimal.
Company leaders identified a list of requirements to accomplish their objective. The development platform they selected had to:
- Facilitate rapid development
- Offer a smooth learning curve
- Integrate with their existing investments in Java, Hibernate, and Spring
- Be robust enough to handle a large, complex e-commerce system
- Allow for future expansion beyond the current initiative
- Fit within the company's budget
In selecting a development platform, Company leaders identified Grails as a framework that fulfilled all of their requirements.
- Grails, which has been described as “Java on steroids,” facilitates rapid application development for companies that have invested in JVM-based technologies.
- Convention-over-configuration, sensible defaults, opinionated APIs, and the Groovy language combine to make Grails easy to learn for Java developers.
- Grails seamlessly and transparently integrates and interoperates with Java, the JVM, and existing Java EE containers. It's built on top of Spring Boot and leverages Spring Boot's time-saving features, such as Spring-powered dependency injection.
- Grails is an enterprise-class development framework designed specifically to optimize performance in large, complex systems, like e-commerce platforms.
- The Grails framework applies the “Don't Repeat Yourself” (DRY) principle, thereby eliminating repetition and hidden bugs, and enabling faster and easier enhancements.
- Because Grails is an open source framework, its users are not tied to long-term contracts or licensing costs, making it an ideal framework for budget-conscious businesses.
Leveraging a capable and scalable technology platform, the Company's development team was able to expand their existing platform quickly and efficiently, allowing the Company to gain first-mover advantage in the Asian market.
The company emerged an online ticketing giant, boasting stronger business capabilities, including advanced web applications, higher quality customer service, and sales tools across 31 countries.