Get started with OpenDDS, Object Computing's open source implementation of the Object Management Group's (OMG's) data distribution service (DDS), with this introductory course for C++ developers.
The OMG Data Distribution Service (DDS) for real-time systems is a publish-and-subscribe middleware service designed to meet the performance, scalability, and quality-of-service needs of real-time and embedded systems.
OpenDDS is an open source C++ implementation of the DDS specification.
This course provides students with an overview of the DDS specification, an introduction to the OpenDDS implementation, and hands-on experience building C++ applications using OpenDDS.
This course prepares students to:
- Understand the DDS’s role in developing distributed applications
- Define custom DDS data types using OMG's interface definition language (IDL)
- Develop and run DDS publishing and DDS subscribing applications
- Become familiar with additional DDS features, including quality-of-service (QoS) policies, data instances, transports, discovery, listeners, conditions, wait sets, built-in topics, content-subscription, and security
Duration & Format
2 days (6 hours)
Schedule a custom offering of this workshop at your location, online, or in our Midwest training lab (12140 Woodcrest Executive Drive; St. Louis, MO. 63141).
The following topics are covered in this course:
- Introduction to DDS
- Defining DDS types with interface definition language (IDL)
- Writing a DDS publishing application
- Writing a DDS subscribing application
- Additional DDS features
To get the most out of this course, we recommend students have a working knowledge of C++ and familiarity with object-oriented programming concepts.
Although everyone is welcome, this course is most valuable to distributed application developers and architects looking for a standards-based, open source, publish-subscribe middleware solution that is suitable for both real-time and non-real-time systems.
Meet the Instructor
Adam Mitz is a Principal Software Engineer at Object Computing. With over 10 years of experience on DDS, Adam leads the OpenDDS development team and consults with OCI's clients building distributed applications that use OpenDDS. He also delivers OpenDDS training classes and participates in the maintenance of DDS specifications at the Object Management Group.
Open Enrollment Courses
Open enrollment courses are a great, cost-effective option for organizations that have an immediate need to train a small number of employees.
Customized Training Programs
Customized training programs can be delivered on-site, in our training lab, or online to help organizations enhance the skills of their internal development teams.