The Makefile, Project, and Workspace Creator (MPC) simplifies the creation of build tool files, supporting a variety of platforms.
MPC was developed by Object Computing to assist with maintaining software designed to build on many platforms; it ships with dozens of templates to simplify the creation of build files for a variety of projects.
MPC generates Makefiles, NMake, Visual Studio, Borland Make, and others and supports projects using C++, Embedded C++, C#, Java, and Visual Basic.
- The MPC project file is a collection of source files (or projects) that make up a single build target.
- MPC takes platform-specific input, along with build tool-generic files, and generates build tool-specific project files by using a framework-based approach that supports both:
- Inheritance from common base projects
- Default values for many aspects of a project
- MPC is free, open source software, which means no vendor lock-in and maximum user control. There are no license fees whatsoever, and the full source code is available at no cost.
- MPC uses simple syntax for ease of use and maintenance.
- MPC allows for extensibility for adding custom features or support for new build tools.
- MPC uses a scripting language (OO Perl) for rapid development, portability, and ease of automation.