Jumpstart Your Micronaut Applications with AWS Lambda
In this 9-hour workshop, JVM developers learn how to develop and deploy Micronaut® applications to AWS Lambda.
Through a combination of lectures, live coding demonstrations, and AWS interaction, participants learn:
- How AWS Lambda functions written with the Micronaut framework can be triggered with AWS Events (such as an S3 or DynamoDB event)
- How integrating Amazon API Gateway and AWS Lambda enables you to write your applications as you would with a Netty runtime (i.e., write your applications as you usually do; run them in AWS Lambda)
- How to deploy a Micronaut application as a GraalVM native image to AWS Lambda Java runtime or to a custom runtime
- How leveraging certain characteristics of Micronaut applications, including fast startup, low memory consumption, and GraalVM integration, can help you work around cold startups in AWS Lambda
This workshop is a great learning opportunity for JVM developers interested in learning how to integrate Micronaut applications with AWS services.
Although everyone is welcome, we recommend attendees have at least a working familiarity with web development, HTTP, Java, and JVM development frameworks.
Experience using the Micronaut framework and AWS is a plus, but not required.
The following topics are covered in this workshop:
- Micronaut and AWS Lambda Java Runtime
- Micronaut GraalVM Native Images and AWS Lambda
- Infrastructure generation with CDK
- Micronaut and AWS Lambda / API Gateway
- Micronaut and AWS Lambda / API Gateway WebSockets
- Micronaut and AWS Lambda Function Url
- Tracing with X-Ray
- NoSQL persistence with DynamoDB and Micronaut
- Uploading files to S3 with Micronaut
- Cron Jobs with Lambda
- Monitoring with Cloud Watch
- Handle authentication with Cognito
- IntelliJ IDEA. The instructor uses IntelIiJ IDEA Ultimate during the course. Attendees should come with JDK 8 or JDK 11 and either IntelliJ IDEA Community (free, open source) or IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate (free trial available) installed on their computers. Both versions can be downloaded at https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download.
- SDKMAN! We recommend installation of the Software Development Kit Manager (SDKMAN!) to ease changing the Java version. Download SDKMAN! at https://sdkman.io.
- AWS. We recommend that every attendee create a personal AWS account prior to the workshop for use during the course. You can create a free account at https://aws.amazon.com/free/.
- AWS Command Line Interface. https://aws.amazon.com/cli/
- AWS CDK CLI. https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cdk/v2/guide/cli.html
- GitHub. Attendees will require a GitHub account, so that code samples and documentation can be shared. If you don't already have one, create your free GitHub account at https://github.com/.
Professional Training for Modern Technology Teams
Open Enrollment Courses
Open enrollment courses are a great, cost-effective option for organizations that have an immediate need to train a small number of employees.
Customized Training Programs
Customized training programs can be delivered on-site, in our training lab, or online to help organizations enhance the skills of their internal development teams.