This 2-day workshop provides hands-on experience using the OpenDDS Modeling SDK to design and build publish/subscribe applications that use OpenDDS.
OpenDDS is an open source implementation of the OMG Data Distribution Service for Real-Time Systems (DDS).
The Eclipse-based, open source Modeling SDK enables developers to define an application’s middleware components and data structures as a UML model, then generate the code to implement the model using OpenDDS. The generated code can then be compiled and linked with the application to provide seamless middleware support to the application.
Working with models raises the level of abstraction at which developers work, improves productivity, and enhances communication within and across teams.
This course prepares students to:
- Understand the basics of the Modeling SDK model
- Understand the Modeling SDK integration and usage within Eclipse
- Use the Modeling SDK to design DCPS application models that include packages, data types, entities, and quality-of-service policies
- Use the Modeling SDK to generate C++ code implementing the application model
- Use the generated code in an actual application
To get the most out of this course, we recommend students have completed Introduction to OpenDDS Programming with C++ or have equivalent knowledge and experience (a working knowledge of C++ and a familiarity with object-oriented programming and DDS concepts).
An optional 1-day overview of DDS concepts is also available to provide the background required to successfully complete this course.
The following topics are covered in this course:
- Introduction to the OpenDDS Modeling SDK
- DCPS data models
- DCPS entity models
- Quality-of-service policy models
- Validating models
- Working effectively within the modeling environment
- Working with multiple models
- Generating code from models
- Using MPC to simplify builds
- Developing applications with model-generated code
- Transport configuration with the modeling SDK
- Advanced uses of the modeling SDK
This course is designed for distributed application developers and architects who use publish/subscribe middleware.
Duration & Format
2 days (12 hours) plus an optional 1-day (6-hour) overview of DDS and OpenDDS
Professional Training for Modern Technology Teams
Open Enrollment Courses
Open enrollment courses are a great, cost-effective option for organizations that have an immediate need to train a small number of employees.
Customized Training Programs
Customized training programs can be delivered on-site, in our training lab, or online to help organizations enhance the skills of their internal development teams.