This course provides developers and architects with hands-on experience using the OpenDDS Modeling SDK to design and build publish/subscribe applications that use OpenDDS. OpenDDS is an open source implementation of the OMG Data Distribution Service for Real-Time Systems (DDS). The Eclipse-based, open source Modeling SDK enables developers to define an application’s middleware components and data structures as a UML model, then generate the code to implement the model using OpenDDS. The generated code can then be compiled and linked with the application to provide seamless middleware support to the application. Working with models raises the level of abstraction at which developers work, improves productivity, and enhances communication within and across teams.
This course prepares students to:
- Understand the basics of the Modeling SDK model
- Understand the Modeling SDK integration and usage within Eclipse
- Use the Modeling SDK to design DCPS application models that include packages, data types, entities, and quality of service policies
- Use the Modeling SDK to generate C++ code implementing the application model
- Use the generated code in an actual application
To get the most out of this course, we recommend students have completed "Introduction to OpenDDS Programming with C++" or have equivalent knowledge and experience (a working knowledge of C++ and a familiarity with object-oriented programming and DDS concepts).
An optional 1-day overview of DDS concepts is also available to provide the background required to successfully complete this course.
Duration & Format
2 days (12 hours) plus an optional 1-day (6-hour) overview of DDS and OpenDDS.
This workshop can be conducted at your location or in our Midwest training lab (12140 Woodcrest Executive Drive; St. Louis, MO. 63141).
The following topics are covered in this course:
- Introduction to the OpenDDS Modeling SDK
- DCPS data models
- DCPS entity models
- Quality-of-service policy models
- Validating models
- Working effectively within the modeling environment
- Working with multiple models
- Generating code from models
- Using MPC to simplify builds
- Developing applications with model-generated code
- Transport configuration with the modeling SDK
- Advanced uses of the modeling SDK
Although everyone is welcome, this course is most valuable to distributed application developers and architects who use publish/subscribe middleware and wish to advance their skills in this area.
Maximize your training experience by adding these courses to your curriculum.
Professional Training for Modern Technology Teams
Flexible Technology Training
Keep your team on the cutting edge with our technology training offerings.
- Courses are developed and led by practicing software engineers and subject matter experts.
- All courses can be customized to meet your organization's unique needs.
- Courses can be conducted at your location, online, or in our state-of-the-art training lab in St. Louis, Missouri.
Many of our courses are also offered to the public both online and at our Midwest training lab for your convenience.